Saturday, December 23, 2006

Working in America

Boys and girls...

I know a lot of you want to or is already working in the United States. And a lot of you (like me being from Hong Kong) feels that although your American colleagues are amicable folks, a foreigner still needs to go the extra mile to amalgamate him/herself within the company.

One of the most effective way to be in the team is to 'learn' their language. And I do not mean simply having a firm grasp of the English language.

You have to understand and then communicate with your field's particular subset of linguistic nuances and vocabulary.

Here is an example of someone who is working in America despite having just a rudimentary understanding of the language when he first started working in America, but is now doing a fine job in learning the 'language' of the job and succeeding in integrating himself to be an integral part of the company's team. The anal ones would say that the grammar can be improved, but I think this captures the spirit of what I am trying to advocate.



"You can't fucking stop me..." - Yao Ming, Center, Houston Rockets

No comments:

Post a Comment